1.What is it?
A handheld wireless neuromuscular percussive therapy to treat breakthrough pain for soft tissue pain. Aimed to primarily help athletes and active users, the Theragun acts with high frequency and high amplitude to relieve pain faster through only 30 seconds of use.
As Percussive therapy research has shown to significantly decrease Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), the TheraGun has come to the market to realise its’ effect.
Please note: TheraGun has not yet been tested on medical patients hence it is not a medical device.
2. Why is it important?
Working out regularly especially at a high intensity can lead to many types of injuries where certain sports are prone to lead to specific common injuries. Some conditions the TheraGun targets include:
- bicep tendonitis
- carpal tunnel
- plantar fasciitis
- shin splints
- Tennis elbow
- Tight shoulders
This also targets the neck pain caused by physical stress due to using a computer, gaming, and excessive mobile use. As many careers are increasingly more sedentary now, we are seeing a rise in this issue which has been coined as the ‘tech neck.’ Here, the TheraGun may be useful for a whole new, growing market where it may be something we use in the home and with our family members after a long day.
With various uses, the versatility of TheraGun has been interesting to follow especially as many Instagram users have demonstrated its use which has helped its presence grow rapidly across the web and we look forward to seeing more about it.
Furthermore, there has been mention of percussive therapy being useful for reducing Parkinson’s resting tremor which could also be something to look out for in the near future. Please take care with use in the elderly as patients with deep vein thrombosis (DVT) could be at risk of a myocardial infarction with penetration of constricted arteries.
3. How does it work?
- use the appropriate attachment for the targeted area of musculature
- hold the TheraGun at a 45 degree angle to the target site
- use the TheraGun by holding it over the area for a maximum of 30 seconds with light to moderate pressure
- the TheraGun has a 16 mm amplitude for up to 60 lbs of force + either 29/40 percussions per second depending on the setting used
- use 29 percussions per second for more sensitive areas
- this allows for faster recovery and relieves tight, sore muscles
- there are currently 3 models and prices start at £229 GBP
Please note: contraindicated in patients with deep vein thrombosis
- reduced pain and sensitivity to stretch
- higher range of motion
- better proprioception
- stimulation of blood flow
- reduced adhesion
- stimulation of tissue remodelling
- increase collagen tissue re- uptake
- unload peripheral nerve restrictions
All images in this article except the leading graphic belongs to TheraGun
- Imtiyaz S, Veqar Z, Shareef M. To Compare the Effect of Vibration Therapy and Massage in Prevention of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. 2014.